Jan 8, 2009

OPTIMISM versus PESSIMISM

What do you feel when you entering a new world, such a strange world that you are never experienced before? Excited? Scared? Worry? Or you just say, “Owh, I don’t know… this is totally new for me, so I will just follow others. They might know more than me.”
Whatever we say, everyone of us has a different opinion about how to describe our feeling regarding to the “new world”. For me, the “new world” that I’ll never forget is my transition from a secondary school to tertiary level. Now, I noticed that tertiary level is very different and even tougher than secondary level. I’m talking in term of education and students’ life.
My first step when I came to my college, I felt like a stranger. Everyone spoke in English, and even when I went to student house where is the place that I’ll stay in, almost of my neighbours speak in English. Am I a foreigner or them? But I’m sure at that time I was in Malaysia. It may look weird and a bit funny. In my hometown, it’s very hard to listen to someone speak in English but here, in my college, English seems like a main medium of communication. It’s quite challenging for me to adapt in a new environment and culture. However, there is nothing depress me because I’m perceived this is a precious time for me to grab chance to improve myself especially in mastering English. My first semester in college was eventful.
The learning method is completely different in tertiary level because you have to work on yourself, besides there is no specific reference which you can refer to. You’ve to be able to improvise everything that is provided. Time management is very essential to be followed. It is very hard to follow everything we’ve planned in our schedule, somehow we must be more discipline to ensure we done our coursework perfectly.
No matter what, it all depends on us to accept something new in our life positively or negatively. This is what I mean by PESSIMISM and OPTIMISM. Talking about pessimism and optimism, what is the meaning for both of these words? Pessimism can be define as the state of expecting or believing that bad things will happen and something will not be successful. Contrary to pessimism, the word “optimism” means the state of expecting good things to happen or to be successful. Based on my past experiences, we’ll be better in doing something if we are optimist. Otherwise, if we are pessimist, we’ve greater chances to fail because we’ll lose our confidence when we always thinking something that is not sure will happen. Another thing is dreaming can’t bring you further in achieving your goal, it only gives you inspiration and motivation. The most crucial thing is your action. How is your action, it’s up to you. Quick action is the best. Now, ask on ourselves whether we want to be optimist or pessimist?

0 comments:

Post a Comment